Sunday, September 11, 2011

High Priest of Rhythmic Noise

Nothing to do with family here, just a little self-indulgence.

This year Cheap Trick played at the Western Idaho Fair.



It's usually a challenge to get concert photos, since most venues don't allow cameras. The Fair, however, doesn't bother to try to restrict electronics (and with the advent of decent cameras in phones, practically speaking most venues don't really keep cameras out, either.  But it's still tough to try to slip an SLR into most real concert venues).

I was able to get right up close, maybe 10-12 feet from the stage.


I stayed there for a while until my ears started to hurt.  (I haven't been to a concert for a year or two, and forgot to bring earplugs.)



Rick Nielson changed guitargs between every song, I think.  This is one of the more unusual ones he used -- a shiny metal Gibson hollow-body.


He used this Gibson Les Paul for about a third of the songs, I think.


Lead singer Robin Zander with a very cool Hamer 12-string hollow-body electric.  He also traded some, using at least four different guitars.


Here Rick Nielson notices me pointing the camera at him...



... and mugs for the shot. :)


Tom Petersson played an 8-string Hamer bass.


Rick with Gibson Flying-V.


And to finish off the night, a crazy Hamer 5-neck.

No comments: